LOCAL Experiences – Cutting + Tasting Trays with Andre Sandifer + Abir Ali – Detroit, MI
Earn $25 in rewards for every $250 spent on your west elm credit card. Learn More >
Tour the Ali Sandifer studio and learn about the process of furniture design and craft. A master craftsman will demonstrate how each tasting tray is made from planing to gluing and sanding. Together, the class will fine-finish, oil and wax. Students will customize their tray with their own initials before they take it home!
Duration: 2 hours, 6:30-8:30pm
Location: Ali Sandifer Workshop
Address: 10325 Linwood Street, Detroit, MI 48206 view map
What we’ll provide: Aprons from Detroit Denim Company, finishing supplies, steel letterpress initials, a pre-dinner appetizer.
What you’ll need: The workshop can get a little dirty, so we recommend comfortable clothes, sleeves that roll up, and closed-toe shoes.
Max Group Size: 5
- Meet the LOCAL Host
Ali Sandifer is a furniture design studio and workshop based in Detroit. At the heart of this practice are two designers: Abir Ali and Andre Sandifer. Both architects by training, Abir curates the studio’s overall work while Andre, a self-taught craftsman, hand-produces each piece. Andre and Abir believe that design, material, and craft must work together to achieve intelligence, beauty, and longevity. This is rooted in a process in which they research, question, sketch, and prototype. They work hands-on at full-scale through multiple versions before arriving at a final piece. Andre and Abir are both from Michigan, born and raised in Grand Rapids and Detroit respectively. Ali Sandifer is housed in a decommissioned fire station on Linwood Street in Detroit’s westside, where all of their work is produced from start to finish.
- Terms and Conditions
- In order to participate in a Local Experience, you will be required to sign a waiver upon check in for the event.
- Participants must be 18 years old or older.
- No refunds or cancellations by participants will be accepted.
- In case of inclement weather or other reasons the host deems necessary, the Local Experience may be cancelled. In this event, the customer will be fully refunded.
- west elm strives to ensure that all of our customers, including those with disabilities and their companions, receive an equal opportunity to participate in and benefit from the goods, facilities, privileges and services we provide, including those provided by west elm Local Experiences. Please reach out to us at email@example.com at least 72 hours in advance if you have a disability or other special need, so that we can determine how best to provide an appropriate accommodation.