LOCAL Experiences – Natural Indigo Dyeing with Shira Entis – Brooklyn, NY
Earn $25 in rewards for every $250 spent on your west elm credit card. Learn More >
Shira's experience will cover basic indigo dye chemistry (how it works) + history. Together you'll create your own natural indigo dye vat (bath), and Shira will give a quick lesson in shibori (resist dyeing via folding or tying) so that each student can dye a 10oz. natural cotton canvas tote bag to take home. Enjoy the natural light and working over a large wood farm table in Shira's Brooklyn studio.
Duration: 3 hours, 1-4pm
Location: Shira’s design studio in Sunset Park, Brooklyn
Address: 250 44th Street, Studio #319, Brooklyn, NY 11232 view map
What we’ll provide: All materials including tote bags and printed instructions, aprons, bottled water and light snacks.
What you’ll need: Students should wear clothing and shoes that can get dirty, as indigo dye is permanent and this is a hands-on experience!
Max Group Size: 6
- Meet the LOCAL Host
Shira has a Master's Degree in Fashion Design from the Savannah College of Art + Design, and co-founded a USA-made handbag company called Fleabags (fleabg.com) 8 years ago. She loves working with her hands and has spent a lot of time in the past several years learning about and working with natural (plant-derived) indigo dye. Shira lives and works in Brooklyn, New York.
- Terms and Conditions
- In order to participate in a Local Experience, you will be required to sign a waiver upon check in for the event.
- Participants must be 18 years old or older.
- No refunds or cancellations by participants will be accepted.
- In case of inclement weather or other reasons the host deems necessary, the Local Experience may be cancelled. In this event, the customer will be fully refunded.
- west elm strives to ensure that all of our customers, including those with disabilities and their companions, receive an equal opportunity to participate in and benefit from the goods, facilities, privileges and services we provide, including those provided by west elm Local Experiences. Please reach out to us at email@example.com at least 72 hours in advance if you have a disability or other special need, so that we can determine how best to provide an appropriate accommodation.