When you're planning for a new baby, decorating the nursery quickly becomes one of your major joys. Start by designing a space in your bedroom for the baby to sleep near you. Then, select baby furniture that creates a sweet nest for you and your baby to relax, feed and sleep in the baby's room -- even if you're snoozing in a nearby chair.
Choose Your Look And Feel
Begin with a visual idea of how you'd like your baby's room to look. Plan your nursery furniture layout and style, including silhouettes and finishes. Next, shop west elm for baby furniture that fits with the modern, stylish vibe in the rest of your home.
- Palette is key. Choose a grouping of colors for the baby's room, including wood, white or colored finishes or a mix for cribs or changing tables.
- Modern classic furniture silhouettes are elegant and soothing in a nursery. Traditional inspiration meets updated styling with details like rounded corners, curved apron trim and scaled pull knobs.
- Mid-century baby furniture styles are an extraordinary way to decorate. These perpetually on-trend pieces evoke the masterpieces of yesteryear but modernize your room with new ways of performing. Changing tables with toppers and tapered legs or cribs with tapered peg slats are sophisticated enough for you, but classic enough for a nursery.
- West elm also has changing tables that let you repurpose furniture you already love. Look for changing tables that match compact cabinets you may already have -- or need to get now.
Pick Nursery Furniture to Grow with Your Baby
When selecting baby furnishings, think in growth stages. Plan for the pieces you'll need as your baby grows into his or her own room.
- Mini-cribs offer a high-walled, compact way to let your baby sleep near you. Place yours against a wall near your bed or in an alcove in your bedroom.
- The toddler bed comes later and lets your baby begin to sleep like a child with a shorter wall on one side.
- Conversion kits change cribs into toddler beds so that you can maximize the use of your baby furniture.
Include Furnishings for You
Don't forget to reserve a few pieces for your own comfort in the nursery.
- Accent chairs, gliders or love seats offer a comfortable place to rock, sing or read together.
- Shelving towers help you stay organized and give you a place to rest your phone or a cup while you get your baby ready for the day or sleep.
- Lighting keeps both you and your baby relaxed. Make sure you have lights by the changing table and any chairs.
Have fun decorating your nursery now. Soon, you'll be spending a lot of happy moments in there.
Our GREENGUARD-certified Mid-Century Collection combines timeless style with ...
Our GREENGUARD-certified Mid-Century Collection combines timeless style with durable craftsmanship. Each piece is made in a Fair Trade Certified™ facility from sustainably-sourced wood that's kiln-dried for extra strength, complete with child-safe, water-based finishes. These Twin and Full beds are the natural upgrade once your child outgrows his or her toddler ...
The Mid-Century Console's beveled edges, warm acorn color ...
The Mid-Century Console's beveled edges, warm acorn color and bronze-finish hardware celebrate the timeless style of 1950s and '60s modernism. Fitted with drawers, a cabinet with a shelf and wire cutouts, it has room for books, media and more. 40"w x 19"d x 27"h. Kiln-dried solid eucalyptus wood and engineered ...
Inspired by American modern design, the Mid-Century Bookcase ...
Inspired by American modern design, the Mid-Century Bookcase borrows its slim legs and beveled edges from iconic '50s and '60s furniture silhouettes. Consisting of a hutch and either a 3-drawer or 1-door side table, its narrow profile makes it a practical extra storage piece in the dining room or living ...