Art by Subject: Mixing Media in a Modern Home
When adorning your walls with new art you have lots of options. One interesting way to shop is for art by subject. While many people start with a color story or a theme, looking to medium first can lend a genuinely artistic feel to your rooms. Just as you might define your couch by the texture of its fabric or your bed by the cushiness of its bedding, you can view art by subject or media to create an upscale home.
The Power of Photography
Peruse photography to discover new subjects, forms and scale to display in your home. Many people love photography because prints allow you to bring iconic looks into your home without the investment of original artwork.
- With photography, you're still able to enjoy an artist's unique creation at any size. Look for close-ups or wide shots that highlight details you love, like an unexpected subject in the frame or a signature perspective.
- Seek out photo art by subject to further refine the creative statement you make on your walls. Street scenes, natural landscapes populated with people or animals and more show off your good taste.
- Framing becomes a personal choice. Many photos or prints look best in a minimalist frame, like a simple black or white band around the image.
Abstract Art Makes a Statement
Abstract art is another favorite for stylish home decorators because there are so many different ways for an artist to express his or her talent. Color, form and meaning blend together to allow the viewer to enjoy an artwork for the purity of its creation.
- Abstract art doesn't have to have a subject. While representational art by subject is popular too, abstract work can include random shapes and lines that just exist to look good.
- These wall hangings are extremely versatile. Put one in an entryway or make a splash in your bedroom or dining room with bold colors and exciting silhouettes.
- It's easy for guests to feel impressed and engaged by abstract art when they come to your home. These are conversation pieces, worthy of interpretation, discussion or even just a quick compliment.
Dimensional Art for Any Room
Bring even more depth to your home with dimensional artwork. These pieces include textiles or objects that jut out from the canvas to offer different perspectives and angles to view. Artwork like this is best suited to any room that allows friends and family to see it from different seats or doorways.
Get the most out of your art selections by choosing and hanging pieces that let everyone see something special.
Printed on photo paper for added depth and vividness, Amy Humphries's beautifully captured peek of buffalo roaming in their natural habitat adds a museum-quality ambiance to any home. Designed by Cuba-based photogrpaher Amy Humphries. Framed photo paper. Handmade solid maple frame from a locally sourced Texas mill. Hanging hardware included. ...
In Lake , Austin-based artist Jess Engle uses combines her signature black and white with cool blue hues to create a piece inspired by nature and geometry. 36"w x 50"h. Printed on paper. American maple wood frame in a Whitewashed finish. Mounting hardware included. Each piece is made to order ...
In Beach , Austin-based artist Jess Engle uses combines her signature black and white with cool blue hues to create a piece inspired by nature and geometry. 36"w x 50"h. Printed on paper. American maple wood frame in a Whitewashed finish. Mounting hardware included. Each piece is made to order ...