Original Art To Make Your Home Outstanding
See why so many stylish homeowners find collecting original art almost addicting. The rush of pleasure you experience when you see your favorite painting is one that doesn't fade. If anything, the more you begin to see how art brings out the best in your carefully-chosen furnishings and textiles, the more you'll find ways to make wall space or squeeze in one more piece. Original art lends every room in your home a unique flair that showcases your space as especially yours.
Where To Hang Abstract Art at Home
When beginning to curate your personal collection of original art, look at abstract artworks for a wide range of visually interesting pieces. Abstract art is more about feeling and preference than any rules of style or interior decorating. If you like it, get it and hang it up--it's that simple.
- Bold artworks that rely on a lot of saturated colors look amazing in a cheerfully-appointed kitchen.
- Adorn the living room with original art that features a lot of negative space or white background to make the room look modern.
- Abstract pieces go well over side tables next to sophisticated couches to balance the practical with the whimsical.
- Hang a larger pieces or a series of complementary pieces in alcoves to make a statement.
Fun Uses of Color and Contrast
Artwork is based on color and proportion, so choose colors that you love. While you may already have a palette chosen for your home or apartment, you can stray from it when it comes to original art. Improvise, make selections on the fly or discover the piece that matches exactly what you had in mind when you shop west elm's carefully curated selection of artworks.
- A bright swath of color against neutrals or earth tones draws all eyes to your wall art. Contrast can define a piece with abstract shapes or stylized representations.
- A bit of metallic goes a long way, while a lot of metallic makes a gorgeous statement. Play with shimmer when making artistic choices to complement the finish of fixtures, lighting or curtain rods and finials.
- Combine unexpected colors in similar shades, like seashell pink and warm orange or mossy green and light turquoise, to showcase a moody, low-contrast aesthetic.
To Frame or Not To Frame?
Some art looks incredible without a frame. These pieces are often easily hangable canvases where the depth of the artwork is meant to be part of its overall visual appeal. Some may come unframed so that you can make a custom decision about the color, material and width of the frame. Other pieces come framed for you to hang directly on the wall with no extra effort.
You can choose a mix of frame styles just like you would choose the art pieces you like best.