Glow Up Outside with Outdoor String Lights
Give your yard, porch or balcony a serious glow-up with outdoor string lights. These pretty lights float in the air on a slim cord for a dramatic, twinkly style that defines your space and sets a relaxing mood. Invite friends over to enjoy the atmosphere or turn them on just for your own enjoyment to wind down after a busy weekday or fun-packed weekend afternoon. The soothing scene they set makes picking up at least one set a smart move for a stylish outdoor space.
How Outdoor String Lights Work
Outdoor string lights are incredibly simple to set up and enjoy. They require almost no maintenance from you once you've hung them up, too, especially if you get solar lights that recharge and light up on their own.
- Start with a string of the basics, like gorgeous, bohemian-inspired paper globes or small metallic lantern lights.
- For a more powerful impact in a medium to large space, you can hang bigger globes further apart. This look can go really modern or a little bit rustic.
- Choose solar ones, so that you don't have to think about turning them on or off. Simply let the sun charge them up during the day and then, at night, you can enjoy them slowly come on as dusk settles into darkness.
- The lights come pre-strung, so they're already spaced for the best visual impact. This is a fast and easy way to make a big change in your space.
Where to Hang Your String Lights
You can hang your string lights anywhere you have an expanse of open air and at least two anchor points. A balcony, between trees or near fence lines are all easy places to put outdoor string lights.
- If you're hanging them as part of your everyday decor, use them to light up the edges of your space. The railing of a balcony with lots of plants, near a doorframe or around a trellis are all beautiful places.
- For backyard parties, hang your string lights between trees and across your yard, over your dining table or around a dance floor.
- If you're hosting a special occasion, play with multiple sets of lights to make the moments stand out. These lights look incredible in pictures most of the time, too, because they glow rather than spotlight.
- It's okay if they hang low or if people touch them, but hang them high enough for comfortable mingling and dramatic impact.
Check out other garden lights to go with your string lights, too. Globes that rest on the ground, lantern styles and rechargeable lamps with modern touches, like Edison bulbs or transparent walls, give your home a stylish look that enhances your furnishings and decor.