Paxton Upholstered Glider Recliner
- Graham Glider $899 – $1,199 Special $720 – $960
- Graham Stationary Ottoman $399 – $649 Special $320 – $520
Niels Wing Glider
- Contract Grade
- Niels Stationary Ottoman $349 – $499 Sale $149.99 – $400
Nursery Must-Haves: The Glider Chair
For new parents, a glider chair is one of the most important furniture items in the nursery. Not only do these chairs provide a comfortable spot for long feeding or baby bonding sessions, but they can also be used to lull babies to sleep. Though gliders are often associated with baby nurseries, these chairs are also stylish enough for use in other modern living spaces.
What Is a Glider Chair?
A glider chair is a type of nursery rocking chair that gently rocks or glides when you lean back. Because the rocking mechanism is hidden beneath fabric panels, these chairs are popular in nurseries and children's playrooms. The nursery gliders at west elm are available in two main styles: basic gliders and wingback gliders.
- Basic gliders by Graham are high-backed chairs with smooth, sleek edges. They're built using an engineered hardwood frame for stability and polyester padding for added comfort. These chairs also come with a lumbar support cushion to prevent back pain when sitting for long periods.
- This type of nursery glider can be paired with the matching Graham ottoman to complete the set.
- Wingback gliders by Niels have a slightly softer silhouette. The curved edges and seat back with tufted buttons give these gliders an elegant, feminine look. The frame is made of pine and plywood with cotton padding for comfort. Unlike the Graham glider, these chairs can swivel as well as glide.
- The matching ottoman by Niels has the same soft, rounded edges as the glider chair.
Glider and Ottoman Colors and Fabrics
Each west elm glider and ottoman is available in over a dozen different colors and fabric types. Certain basic colors may be in stock in the online shop, but most gliders and ottomans are made-to-order.
- Choose from a wide range of fabrics including high-quality linen weave and ultra-plush velvet.
- For nurseries, neutral colors like gray, cream or blush are popular choices. These neutral shades contribute to a calming atmosphere for the baby and the parents. To brighten these soft gliders, add a bold patterned throw blanket or pillow.
- For use outside of the nursery, consider a dark fabric color like black, navy or indigo. These chairs also come in trendy bright shades like red and aqua.
- Having trouble choosing the right color or fabric? West elm will ship sample fabric swatches to any city in the United States free of charge. That way, you'll have a better understanding of how the chair will feel and whether the color will match well with your baby's nursery.
A glider chair is a fabulous addition to any modern nursery. The gentle rocking motion helps to soothe fussy babies and lull them into a deep sleep. And these chairs are not only useful but are also stylishly designed with clean lines and a gorgeous array of colors to choose from. Use these gliders as a nursery rocking chair or pair a glider with a matching ottoman to add extra seating to your modern living room.