Ideas + Advice
- Bedding 101
- A Guide to Sheets
- Layer Your Bed Like A Stylist
- How To: Create The Perfect Lazy Sunday
- How To: Style Your Dresser
- How To: Fold A Fitted Sheet
- How To: Put On A Duvet Cover
- How To Shop For An Upholstered Bed
- Build A Perfect Bed Tool
- Choosing The Perfect Pillow
- Choosing Your Duvet
- Choose The Right Bed + Headboard
- Inspiration: Bedrooms
- Inspiration: Pillows + Throws
- Registry Do's + Don'ts
- Behind The Design
- Choosing Paint Colors
- Choose The Right Curtains
- How To: Hang Curtains
- Choose The Right Rug
- Get Organized With Baskets
- LED Lighting Guide
- Choose The Right Light
- Behind the Scenes: Tour Our Makers Studio
- Create A Wood–Paneled Wall
- How To: Create A Gallery Wall
- Decorating With White
- Behind The Scenes: Miami
Tools + Resources
Measure For Delivery
Tight doorways, narrow halls and stairwells can all pose a problem when delivering new furniture. Be sure that the piece will fit in—and into—your home before placing your order. Here's how:
1. Pick The Right Piece
- Make sure the furniture you're considering works in your space. Our published dimensions (width x depth x length) will help you decide.
- To help visualize, map out the area where the piece will live, using masking tape on bare floors or sheets of paper on carpet.
2. Measure Your Home
It's important to make sure that the piece will fit in all entryways before placing your order.
- Measure the height (A) and width (B) of all doors and hallways.
- For narrow entryways and corners, also measure the total clearance length (C) between the outside and interior walls.
- Determine the best pathway from outside your home to where the piece will live.
Take Note: Account for fixtures, decorative moldings, interior walls, stairwells, and elevators when measuring, as they may pose an obstacle when delivering to a building or once the piece is in your home.
3. Note Furniture Measurements
- Referencing the Details + Dimensions tab on each product page, locate the width (W), depth (D), and height (H) of the piece.
- If a sofa or chair, also note the diagonal depth (DD), which will determine if the piece can be brought through tighter entryways at an angle.
Take Note: 1) Sectionals are delivered in individual pieces. Use individual component measurements for comparison as opposed to the sectional's overall measurements. 2) Most dining tables have removable legs, minimizing overall product height during delivery.
4. Make Sure It Fits Into Your Home
For Sofas + Chairs:
The width of the entryway (B) must exceed at least one of the following: the piece's depth (D), diagonal depth (DD) or height (H).
If the entryway clearance (C) exceeds the piece's width (W), then you can move it in horizontally.
If the entryway clearance (C) is less than the piece's width (W), then you will need to attempt to move it in vertically, meaning that the entryway height (A) must exceed the piece's width (W).
Caution—the piece will not fit into your home if either of these instances holds true:
- The piece's width (W) exceeds both the entryway clearance (C) and height (A).
- If entryway width (B) is less than all three of these measurements: the piece's depth (D), diagonal depth (DD) and height (H).
For Bookcases + Armoires:
The width of the entryway (B) must exceed the piece's depth (D).
If the entryway clearance (C) exceeds the piece's height (H), then you can move it in horizontally.
If the entryway clearance (C) is less than the piece's height (H), then you will need to attempt to move it in vertically, meaning that the entryway height (A) must exceed the piece's height (H).
Caution—the piece will not fit into your home if the piece's height (H) exceeds both the entryway clearance (C) and height (A).
5. Prepare For Delivery
- White Glove Service and Inside Delivery items are delivered into your home by appointment (Mon – Sat) in most metropolitan areas.
- A representative will call to arrange a delivery date and confirm an appointment timeframe (typically a 4–hour window).
- Available in the contiguous 48 states only.
White Glove Service
White Glove is a premium service required on oversized furniture items and has an associated fee (standard shipping + processing costs still apply). With White Glove, your order is safely brought into your home by a skilled delivery team on a pre–scheduled date, unpacked in the room of your choice and fully assembled. All packaging materials are removed upon completion. Does not include installation (i.e. wall mounting of shelving units).
Inside Delivery is required on larger items that do not require assembly (i.e. oversized rugs, mirrors) and has no associated fee (standard shipping + processing costs still apply). With Inside Delivery, items are delivered on a pre-scheduled date to the room of your choice but are neither unpacked nor assembled.
Some furniture is stocked in your local west elm store and available to take home immediately. Our Sales Associates can arrange delivery of these items via a local delivery service.