Ideas + Advice
- Bedding 101
- A Guide to Sheets
- Layer Your Bed Like A Stylist
- How To: Create The Perfect Lazy Sunday
- How To: Style Your Dresser
- How To: Fold A Fitted Sheet
- How To: Put On A Duvet Cover
- How To Shop For An Upholstered Bed
- Build A Perfect Bed Tool
- Choosing The Perfect Pillow
- Choosing Your Duvet
- Choose The Right Bed + Headboard
- Inspiration: Bedrooms
- Inspiration: Pillows + Throws
- Registry Do's + Don'ts
- Behind The Design
- Choosing Paint Colors
- Choose The Right Curtains
- How To: Hang Curtains
- Choose The Right Rug
- Get Organized With Baskets
- LED Lighting Guide
- Choose The Right Light
- Behind the Scenes: Tour Our Makers Studio
- Create A Wood–Paneled Wall
- How To: Create A Gallery Wall
- Decorating With White
- Behind The Scenes: Miami
Living + Office
How To Shop For A Desk
Even in the age of laptops and smartphones, a desk is still an essential–for writing notes, paying bills, surfing the web and keeping important papers organized. But you don't need a dedicated home office, and your desk can also double as a table, be incorporated into bookshelves, or slip into a corner. Here are 3 key questions to consider:
1. What will you use it for?
If you're just working on a laptop or want a desk that moonlights as a table or vanity, you can opt for a streamlined or smaller style. If you work from home, share your desk with others or have lots of stuff, choose a full–size desk or modular system with storage
Make sure the surface is roomy enough for your essentials—a desk lamp, computer, and organizing accessories.
2. Where will it live?
If your desk will be tucked into your bedroom, living room or kitchen, choose one that fits the style and size of the space, and think ahead about the best placement.
Whether a sleek white lacquer Parsons desk or a warm wood Mid–Century one, it should add to the decor, not be an office store special that stands out like a sore thumb.
Our mini desks and corner desks tuck a workspace into tight quarters.
Sleek wall units make it easy to incorporate a desk into bookshelves and media storage in a living area.
Make sure to allow room for a desk chair and ensure there are outlets nearby.
Don't overlook the possibility of placing your desk perpendicular to the wall, against a window or floating it in the room.
3. How much storage do you need?
From slim consoles with a pencil drawer to modular desks with roomy file drawers and bookshelves, take an honest inventory of what you need to store and choose your desk accordingly.
Have a home office or lots of books and files? Consider our L–shaped desks or wall–mounted storage systems.
Are you messy or neat? Think about whether you want closed cabinets + drawers or open shelves, especially if your desk will be in a living or bedroom.
SIGNS OF QUALITY TO LOOK FOR
Look for these hallmarks of quality in our desks and office storage:
- Ball–bearing metal drawer glides—for smooth, level sliding time after time
- Kiln–dried solid wood construction—for much greater durability than a veneer or particleboard
- For lacquered pieces, look for water–based (low–emission) lacquers on engineered wood; for glass tops, tempered glass
- Solid wood or metal legs and hardware
- A finished back, for flexibility in placement
- Also consider choosing sustainably sourced, FSC–certified® wood and furniture made in a Fair Trade facility.