Ideas + Advice
- Bedding 101
- A Guide to Sheets
- Layer Your Bed Like A Stylist
- How To: Create The Perfect Lazy Sunday
- How To: Style Your Dresser
- How To: Fold A Fitted Sheet
- How To: Put On A Duvet Cover
- How To Shop For An Upholstered Bed
- Build A Perfect Bed Tool
- Choosing The Perfect Pillow
- Choosing Your Duvet
- Choose The Right Bed + Headboard
- Inspiration: Bedrooms
- Inspiration: Pillows + Throws
- Registry Do's + Don'ts
- Behind The Design
- Choosing Paint Colors
- Choose The Right Curtains
- How To: Hang Curtains
- Choose The Right Rug
- LED Lighting Guide
- Choose The Right Light
- Behind the Scenes: Tour Our Makers Studio
- Create A Wood–Paneled Wall
- How To: Create A Gallery Wall
- Decorating With White
- Behind The Scenes: Miami
How To Choose The Right Bed + Headboard
Picking out a bed can seem like a big decision, but it doesn't have to be a stressful one. Most of our headboards and bed frames are designed to work together. Here, we break it down to a few simple steps to help you choose the right pairing.
1. Choose your headboard
- Pick a headboard based on the style of your bedroom, or the style you'd like to achieve.
- Upholstered headboards offer the most comfort, giving you a cozy surface to lean against when you're reading in bed.
- Tufting or nailheads add dimension to an upholstered headboard.
- Leather headboards offer sleek style along with durability and easy cleaning.
- Wooden headboards suit a range of styles—from streamlined mid-century modern to industrial or rustic, depending on the type of wood.
- Carved wooden headboards transform rooms with statement-making style.
- Quick tip: Taller headboards add more drama to the bedroom.
2. Pick a bed frame
- Once you've chosen your headboard, pick a frame that complements it, in terms of material (wood, upholstery or metal), style and color.
- Quick tip: Low bed frames let your headboard stand out even more.
3. Order the right size
- Our selection of bed frames ranges from twin to king. Our sizing is standard, but always make sure to measure your room or mattress before ordering. You can find detailed dimensions for each product online.
4. Keep in mind
- All our headboards can be used with standard metal frames.
- If you're using a box spring, note that it will raise the height of the mattress and cover part of the headboard.
Head to our handy Bed Builder Tool to help you visualize your choice and explore all your options.
Answers to your most pressing decorating FAQs