Decorating + Accessories
Hang Your Curtains In 7 Easy Steps
You don't have to be a power tool whiz to hang your own curtains. It's much easier than you think! Our handy guide takes you through 7 quick steps to hanging curtains like a pro. Plus, expert advice on picking fabrics, lengths and styles. Ready to get started?Materials you'll need:
- Measuring tape
- Stud finder
- Allen wrench
- Measure the width of your window to determine the size of your curtain rod.
- Add 1-3 inches on each side.
- Measure 4 inches above your window. This is where the brackets will go.
- Use a level to mark your measurements and pre-drill holes.
- For drywall, insert wall anchors with a Phillips head screwdriver.
- For stud mounting, align your brackets with the holes and fasten screws directly into the wall.
- Choose your style based on the look you're going for:
- Hidden tab creates a formal look.
- Pole pocket is more casual.
- Grommet top has a modern feel.
- Choose your fabric based on the style you want and how much
light you want to let in.
- Sheers, whether linen, cotton or synthetic, let in lots of light.
- Cotton and linen blends and jacquards create a natural look with texture that ranges from sheer to opaque.
- Denser fabrics like wool and velvet help block light and noise and keep in heat or air conditioning.
- In between curtain lengths? It's always best to pick the longer size and shorten with a hem.