Ideas + Advice
- Bedding 101
- A Guide to Sheets
- Layer Your Bed Like A Stylist
- How To: Create The Perfect Lazy Sunday
- How To: Style Your Dresser
- How To: Fold A Fitted Sheet
- How To: Put On A Duvet Cover
- How To Shop For An Upholstered Bed
- Build A Perfect Bed Tool
- Choosing The Perfect Pillow
- Choosing Your Duvet
- Choose The Right Bed + Headboard
- Inspiration: Bedrooms
- Registry Do's + Don'ts
- Behind The Design
- Choosing Paint Colors
- Choose The Right Curtains
- How To: Hang Curtains
- Choose The Right Rug
- LED Lighting Guide
- Choose The Right Light
- Behind the Scenes: Tour Our Makers Studio
- Create A Wood–Paneled Wall
- How To: Create A Gallery Wall
- Decorating With White
- Behind The Scenes: Miami
Decorating + Accessories
Hang Your Curtains In 7 Easy Steps
You don't have to be a power tool whiz to hang your own curtains. It's much easier than you think! Our handy guide takes you through 7 quick steps to hanging curtains like a pro. Plus, expert advice on picking fabrics, lengths and styles. Ready to get started?
Materials you'll need:
- Measuring tape
- Stud finder
- Allen wrench
- Measure the width of your window to determine the size of your curtain rod.
- Add 1-3 inches on each side.
- Measure 4 inches above your window. This is where the brackets will go.
- Use a level to mark your measurements and pre-drill holes.
- For drywall, insert wall anchors with a Phillips head screwdriver.
- For stud mounting, align your brackets with the holes and fasten screws directly into the wall.
That's it! Your curtains are now ready to use.
- Choose your style based on the look you're going for:
- Hidden tab creates a formal look.
- Pole pocket is more casual.
- Grommet top has a modern feel.
- Choose your fabric based on the style you want and how much light you want to let in.
- Sheers, whether linen, cotton or synthetic, let in lots of light.
- Cotton and linen blends and jacquards create a natural look with texture that ranges from sheer to opaque.
- Denser fabrics like wool and velvet help block light and noise and keep in heat or air conditioning.
- In between curtain lengths? It's always best to pick the longer size and shorten with a hem.
Rather not do it yourself? Our installation pros will hang two pairs of curtains for just $129. Ask a store associate or make an appointment at westelm.com/style-service.